safeTALK: suicide alertness for everyone
safeTALK is a half-day training in suicide alertness. It helps participants recognize a person with thoughts of suicide and connect them with resources who can help them in choosing to live. Participants don’t need any formal preparation to attend the training—anyone age 15 or older who wants to make a difference can learn the safeTALK steps.
FOCUS: Suicide alertness training for the community
PARTICIPANTS: Anyone 15 or older
DURATION: 3 hours–4 hours (half a day)
TRAINERS: One trainer and one community resource person per 15–30 participants
LANGUAGES: English and French
SafeTALK – Suicide Alertness for Everyone – is a half-day course that can help you make a difference. Learn to identify people with thoughts of suicide and connect them to suicide first aid resources. This training prepares you to be a suicide alert helper by following the TALK steps (Tell, Ask, Listen and KeepSafe). These steps offer initial help in order to connect people having thoughts of suicide with more specialised support. For more information about the course
What are the course aims?
- Identify people thinking of suicide.
- Overcome barriers in talking about suicide.
- Identify reasons we may miss, dismiss or avoid suicide.
- Practice using the 4-step model of suicide alertness.
- Connect people at risk of suicide with further appropriate help.
What are the teaching methods?
The session combines various teaching methods, including:
- Video clips
What are the training outcomes?
As a safeTALK-trained suicide alert helper, you will be better able to:
- Move beyond common tendencies to miss, dismiss or avoid suicide.
- Identify people who have thoughts of suicide.
- Apply the TALK steps (Tell, Ask, Listen and Keep-safe) to connect a person thinking about suicide to a suicide intervention resource.
Additionally, each participant will receive a certificate, a wallet-sized reference card plus a resource pack with information about sources of support for people having suicidal thoughts.
We offer group workshops or to find out when our next workshop is please use the form below