SafeTALK – Suicide Alertness for Everyone – is a half-day course that can help you make a difference. Learn to identify people with thoughts of suicide and connect them to suicide first aid resources. This training prepares you to be a suicide alert helper by following the TALK steps (Tell, Ask, Listen and KeepSafe). These steps offer initial help in order to connect people having thoughts of suicide with more specialised support.
For more information about the course click here.
What are the course aims?
- Identify people thinking of suicide.
- Overcome barriers in talking about suicide.
- Identify reasons we may miss, dismiss or avoid suicide.
- Practice using the 4-step model of suicide alertness.
- Connect people at risk of suicide with further appropriate help.
What are the teaching methods?
The session combines various teaching methods, including:
- Video clips
What are the training outcomes?
As a safeTALK-trained suicide alert helper, you will be better able to:
- Move beyond common tendencies to miss, dismiss or avoid suicide.
- Identify people who have thoughts of suicide.
- Apply the TALK steps (Tell, Ask, Listen and Keep-safe) to connect a person thinking about suicide to a suicide intervention resource.
Additionally, each participant will receive a certificate, a wallet-sized reference card plus a resource pack with information about sources of support for people having suicidal thoughts.
Getting to the Venue
Located in Shanklin, just at the top of the high street, the venue is easily accessible by public transport, shanklin train station is a few minutes’ walk and the bus stop is also a few minutes’ walk
The nearest car park is in Languard Road, however there are limited free parking spaces on the streets near to the venue.
Shanklin Conservative Club
6 Palmerston Road Shanklin PO37 6AU
Timings & Breaks
The course runs from 10.00am – 1.30pm. It is important you arrive promptly– we promise to finish on time! We will have refreshment breaks during the session, all participants must stay for the whole training to complete it
FREE – Funding for up to 15 places
If you are unable to attend due to illness you will need to send us a copy of a medical certificate for cancellation fees to be waived.
Delegate substitutions can be made at any time without charge.
This is a FREE course sponsored by